Boko Haram attack in Borno claimed at least 110 civilian lives ― UN

Boko Haram attack in Borno claimed at least 110 civilian lives ― UN

A weekend attack on a village in Borno blamed on the Boko Haram jihadist group left at least 110 dead, the UN humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria said Sunday.

“At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,” Edward Kallon said in a statement after initial tolls indicated 43 and then at least 70 dead from Saturday’s massacre by suspected Boko Haram fighters.

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year,” Kallon said, adding: “I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice.”

RELATED:  Africa’s first agricultural electronic centre launched in Ibadan

The bloodletting took place in the village of Koshobe near the main city of Maiduguri, with assailants targeting farmers on rice fields.

The state’s governor, Babaganan Umara Zulum, attended the burial Sunday in the nearby village of Zabarmari of 43 bodies recovered on Saturday, saying the toll could rise after search operations resumed.

The assailants tied up the agricultural workers and slit their throats, according to a pro-government anti-jihadist militia.

ALSO READ: SARS officer admitted to killing my guest — Hotel Manager tells Osun panel 

The victims were among labourers from Sokoto state in northwestern Nigeria, roughly 1,000 kilometres (600 miles) away, who had travelled to the northeast to find work, it said.

RELATED:  Many of you are battling idleness - Rosy Meurer tells those against her marriage to Olakunle Churchill

Six were wounded in the attack and eight remained missing as of Saturday.

Kallon, citing “reports that several women may have been kidnapped”, called for their immediate release and return to safety.

President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the attack, saying: “The entire country has been wounded by these senseless killings.”

RELATED:  240 fresh cases of COVID19 recorded in Nigeria

The attack took place as voters went to the polls in long-delayed local elections in Borno State.

The polls had been repeatedly postponed because of an increase in attacks by Boko Haram and a rival dissident faction, ISWAP.

The two groups have been blamed for increasing attacks on loggers, farmers and fishermen whom they accuse of spying for the army and pro-government militias.

[AFP]

Vanguard News Nigeria

The post Boko Haram attack in Borno claimed at least 110 civilian lives ― UN appeared first on Vanguard News.

 59 Downloads

Receive Updates

No spam guarantee.

I agree to have my personal information transfered to GetResponse ( more information )